David Bowie – person of great talent
English singer, songwriter, musician, record producer, painter and actor David Bowie was born on January 8, 1947. His real name is David Robert Jones. His work had an enormous influence on the generations, and his images are real works of art. Bowie was known and loved throughout the world. Until the end of his life, he belonged to the music and recorded albums. Bowie is considered to be an innovator, particularly for his work of the 1970s. He has influenced many musicians, was known for his distinctive voice and the intellectual depth of created works.
Bowie died from liver cancer in his New York City apartment on January 10, 2016, two days after his 69th birthday and the release of the album Blackstar.
David Bowie’s first wife was the model Angela Barnett, whom he met in 1969. In 1971 Angela gave birth to their son Zoe. David and Angela divorced in 1980.
Model Iman Abdulmajid became David’s second wife. They married in 1992. In 2000 Iman gave birth to their daughter Alexandria Zahra.
There were rumors that David had love affairs with singer Tina Turner and actresses Elizabeth Taylor and Susan Sarandon in the 80s.
– His stage name he took in honor of bladed weapon – combat knife Bowie, which was named after one of the leaders of the Texas Revolution Jim Bowie (1796-1836). David performed under this name for the first time on January 14, 1966, when his alias appeared on the cover of the record Can’t Help Thinking About Me.
– In fact, his eyes weren’t different colors. They looked different because of the school fight: his buddy hit his eye with a ring on the finger. That’s why apple of his right eye was unnaturally extended.
– In 2004, Dave suffered a heart attack. So he had to cancel 15 concerts.
– During his career about 136 million records and CDs with his music were sold.
– The specie of spiders that live in Malaysia was named after David – Heteropoda davidbowie. It was discovered by German scientist Peter Jaeger, who confessed that he was inspired by Bowie’s creativity.
– In 1974, during the tour Diamond Dogs Bowie weighed 43 kilograms at the height of 178 centimeters. At that time he was at the peak of cocaine dependence.
– Fans often called him Ziggy. Ziggy Stardust was an androgynous image created by Bowie in 1970.
– In the 60s David founded the band The Hype all the members of which appeared on stage dressed as superheroes. Spectators constantly booed performance of musicians, so they couldn’t play the song to the end.
– Bowie voiced Atlantis King in Sponge Bob.
– There is a version that Bowie not Michael Jackson invented and first demonstrated the famous “moonwalk.”
– Bowie was in Russia in 1973, 1976 and 1996. David did not like the organization of the concert in Moscow in 1996 and metropolitan audience and he promised never to return to Moscow. He kept his promise.
– Bowie was a multi-instrumentalist, he played the saxophone, guitar, electric guitar, twelve-string guitar, piano, harpsichord, harmonica, keyboards, Mellotron, stilofone, xylophone, vibraphone, koto, drums and percussion.
– David was left-handed, but played the guitar as a right-handed.
– In 2000, Bowie refused the title of Commander of the British Empire, and in 2003 did not receive the title of knight.
– David Bowie’s Guitar is in Hard Rock Cafe in Warsaw.
– Russian group B-2 has a song titled Bowie.
– Bowie was inspired by Iggy Pop’s dream in which he saw his girl eating a TV and wrote the song TVC15 from the album Station To Station.
– It was Bowie, who wrote the song The Man Who Sold The World in 1970. And it was the most famous acoustic cover which was performed by Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) during the show MTV Unplugged in 1993. After that Bowie faced the fact that people came to him after a concert where he performed his own song and said: “It’s cool that you perform Nirvana’s song”.
– In 1975 single Fame was very successful in America. Its co-author (and backing vocalist) was John Lennon.
Since the 1970s, David was engaged in painting, but as an artist, he became widely known only in March 2013 when the London Victoria and Albert Museum held his art exhibition titled ‘David Bowie Is’. Later the same exhibition was held in Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) in Toronto.