Eminem – Marshal Mathers III
Eminem was born on October 17, 1972 in Kansas City. His real name is Marshal Mathers III.
Marshal was a small and skinny boy and he was bullied in practically every school he went to. When he was nine, he almost died after a vicious attack at school and spent 5 days in a coma. He wrote letters to his dad, hoping that he would come like a super hero and deal with the bullies. But all the letters came back unopened…
At the age of fifteen he dropped out and soon married his school sweetheart. On December 25, 1995 his daughter Hailie Jade was born. These were hard times for the young couple.
Today, Em is rich and famous but he still raps about the days of his unhappy childhood. He says he’ll never forgive his father who left them, penniless, when he was only 6 months old. He had spent 12 years moving with his mother from place to place before they finally settled in Detroit.
His first album came out in 1997 and was poorly received. But Eminem was determined to succeed and his second album, The Slim Shady, climbed to number 2 on the US album charts in 1999. A year later, The Marshal Mathers LP became the fastest selling album in rap history.
Eminem admits that in many of his songs he speaks his mind and touches on “personal issues, family things.” His mother filed a lawsuit, because, as she says, certain lines on The Slim Shady had caused damage to her reputation. His former classmate (and bully!) DeAngelo Baily accused Eminem of libelling him in the song Brain Damage.
Em played in the film 8 Mile High and the film’s story is very similar to his own life. Em co- stars with Kim Basinger, who plays his mother.
His advice to his teenage fans is: “Grow up like me. Be tough.”
Interesting facts about Eminem
– When he was 11 years old his whole room was covered in Madonna posters.
– He is in the Guinness Book of Records as the most sold-out hip-hop artist in the world (no one before him did not receive such an honor).
– He has Scottish and Welsh roots.
– False information about his death was mentioned 5 times – 4 times he was killed in a car accident and one time he died from a drug overdose.
– He is a fan of the movie Spider-Man, and also likes The Matrix.
– Elton John wrote the song Rocket Man and dedicated it to Eminem.
– His personal tattoo artist is Mr. Cartoon from California.