Tom Hanks – brilliant American actor
Tom Hanks is an American actor, film director, screenwriter and producer. He began his career in family comedies, but by the age of forty he has achieved universal recognition as a serious dramatic actor and won two Oscar awards for his main roles in the films Philadelphia (1993) and Forrest Gump (1994). Hanks is also known for collaborations with director Steven Spielberg.
Thomas Jeffrey Hanks was born on July 9, 1956 in Concord, California. His father was a chef at the local restaurant, and his mother worked as a waitress. Tommy was the third of four children in the family. Five years after his birth his parents divorced and the children were brought up by their father.
Tom took judo lessons and participated in Little League. In high school, Hanks, with encouragement from a friend, joined the school’s drama program. He appeared in a number of plays under the direction of the school’s drama teacher, Rawley Farnsworth.
In 1977 he became an assistant stage manager for the Civic Theater. In the summer of 1978, he appeared in Two Gentlemen of Verona at the festival and received the Cleveland Drama Critics Award for his effort. At the end of the festival season, he moved to New York City.
Tom began his acting career in 1980. Four years later he starred as the romantic interest of a mermaid in the comedy Splash.
In 1988, Hanks played the main role in the film The Big and received Golden Globe and Oscar nomination.
The film Forrest Gump where Hanks played the title role became a sensation in 1994. The film received six Oscars.
After receiving two consecutive Oscar Hanks became a national hero.
The film Apollo 13, dedicated to the unsuccessful flight to the moon in 1970, was released in 1995.
In 1996, Tom Hanks made his debut as a film director with the film That Thing You Do!, a charming, simple story of a one-hit 1960’s rock band.
Among the most powerful films of his career was Saving Private Ryan, directed by Steven Spielberg and released in 1998. The movie grossed $190 million at the box office, and Hanks was recognized with an Oscar nomination.
In 2013 the actor played the role of Walt Disney in the film Saving Mr. Banks.
In 2015 he starred in the music video for Carly Rae Jepsen’s song I Really Like You.
In 2016 he was awarded one of the highest US award – Presidential Medal of Freedom.
The winner of 2 Oscar, 4 Golden Globe and 5 Emmy awards Hanks has starred in over 70 films and has made a significant contribution to the world cinema.
Hanks was married to the American actress Samantha Lewes from 1978 to 1985. They had two children: a son, Colin (also an actor) and daughter Elizabeth Ann.
In 1988, Hanks married actress Rita Wilson. They met on the set of the show Bosom Buddies but their relationship became closer just a few years later on the set of the film Volunteers. They have two sons – Chester and Truman.
On February 1, 2011, Tom became a grandfather and in June 2013 he became a grandfather for the second time.
– He is the second actor in the history of cinema (after Spencer Tracy), who received Oscar for two consecutive years.
– One day, Tom Hanks returned disappointed viewers money paid for tickets. The couple met Hanks on one of the gas stations and admitted that they were not very happy with his film Larry Crowne. In response, the actor handed them $ 25 and promised to make the effort to become better.
– In the 70s Hanks performed in the play The Cherry Orchard at the University of California.
– Hanks voiced Woody in the cartoon Toy Story.
– Tom Hanks is an actor who has received one of the biggest fees in movie history – a little more than $ 51 million, for the role of Professor Robert Langdon in the film Angels and Demons.
– Hanks is in the Guinness Book of Records. He became the first actor, whose films bring more than $ 100 million each.
– In the film Cloud Atlas Hanks played six roles.
– On June 12, 2002 Hanks became the youngest winner of Life Achievement Award.
– Tom is an active supporter of the space program.
– In 2006, Tom was the first actor to become an honorary member of the US Army Rangers.