Madonna – biggest female superstar
Madonna is the biggest female superstar of the modern era. Guinness Book of World Records calls her ‘the most successful female solo artist’.
Her full name is Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone. Madonna was born on August 16, 1956 in Bay City, Michigan. She was the third child of six in a Catholic family. Her mother died when she was only five. Madonna has 3 sisters and 4 brothers.
At school she was a very bright student and always got excellent marks. She was also good at sports and dancing. After leaving school Madonna studied modern dance at the University of Michigan but left it at the end of the second year.
Her dream was to become a rock singer and Madonna moved to New York at the age of about 20. She came there with 35 dollars in her pocket. Her first jobs included figure modeling for artists and acting in low budget movies. She danced briefly with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.
In 1980, Madonna joined her first rock band called The Breakfast Club. Very soon she realized that it was a big mistake and left the band.
In 1982, her first album was released. It became very popular with American teenagers.
Madonna became the most popular rock-star in the world when her second album, Like a Virgin, came out.
In 1986 she released her third album, True Blue, from which three singles topped the charts.
By 1992 Madonna had established herself as a worldwide entertainer and a sharp, confident business woman.
In January 1997 she was nominated for and won the Best Actress Award at the 54th Annual Golden Globe Award Ceremony. Later that spring, the song You Must Love Me won the Academy Award for Best Song.
In August 1985 she married actor Sean Penn. They divorced in 1989. The actor even was nicknamed Mr Madonna.
She was married to the British film director Guy Ritchie.
She gave birth to a daughter, Lourdes in 1996, and a son, Rocco in 2000. Madonna adopted two children David Banda and Mercy James, who are from a poor African country Malawi.
To tell the truth Madonna always has a lot of fans and admirers.
Madonna had a love affair with a dancer Brahim Zaibat.
– Her hobbies are yoga, reading, writing and spending time with her family.
– Her favorite sports are boxing and basketball.
– Her lucky number is 13
– Her idols are Greta Garbo, Bette Davis, Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, Marlene Dietrich, Martha Graham.
– Her favorite writers are Alice Walker, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Jack Kerouac, James Joyce, Honore de Balzac, Guy de Maupassant, Noel Coward, and Arthur Golden.
– Her favorite painters are Frida Kahlo, Tamara de Lempicka.
– Madonna has written five books for children. All of them are best- sellers.
– She is one of the richest women in the world but she gives a lot of money to charity.
– The singer was included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
– She has two Golden Globe awards for the song Masterpiece.
– She has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.