Jackie Chan – actor and stuntman
Jackie Chan is a Hong Kong, Chinese and American actor, stuntman, film director, producer, screenwriter, singer, philanthropist, a martial arts master, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, Commander of the Order of the British Empire. Chan is one of the most popular action heroes in the world, he is known for his acrobatic fighting style and comic gift. He has played leading roles in over 100 films and is one of the most famous Asian actors in the world. In addition, he sings songs in many of his films and has been releasing albums since the 1980s. He is a winner of Oscar for his contribution to cinema.
Jackie Chan was born on April 7, 1954 in Hong Kong, China into a poor Chinese family. His parents Charles Chan (1914-2008) and Lily Chan (1916-2002) fled to Hong Kong during the Civil War and in 1960 moved to Australia. They worked as a cook and maid at the residence of the French consul in Hong Kong.
Jackie studied at Nah-Hwa Primary School but at the age of 6 he entered the Peking Opera School. The little boy was fond of martial arts.
As a child he began acting in movies. In the film Big and Little Wong Tin Bar (1962) he played the son of the main character. Later he took part in such as films Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee.
In 1976, Jackie moved to his parents in Canberra, where he briefly studied at the Dickson College and worked as a builder.
His first breakthrough project was the film Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow (1978). The film’s director Yuen Woo-ping allowed Chan to invent stunts in the film. In the same year, Chan starred in Drunken Master.
In the 1980s, he appeared in several films in supporting roles. On the set of Project A in 1983 Chan officially created stunt team.
In 1995, MTV channel presented him with an award for overall achievements in cinema. The actor became successful in the USA after his role in the film Rumble in the Bronx.
In the mid-90s, he continued to work with Hollywood studios, and finally, in 1998, made his first full American hit – Rush Hour, which became one of the highest grossing films of the year.
In 2000, he reached great success together with popular American comedian Owen Wilson in the comedy Western Shanghai Noon.
In September 2011 his 100th film 1911 or Xinhai geming was released.
Chan is known as a successful pop singer. Since 1984, he has recorded more than 100 songs.
On November 12, 2016 Jackie received Oscar for his contribution to cinema.
He is married to a Taiwanese actress Lin Feng-jiao. On December 3, 1982 their son was born. Now he is an actor and singer.
In November 1999 Miss Asia – 90 Elaine Ng gave birth to his second child, illegitimate daughter.
– He performs stunts himself and often gets injured. The actor is in a black list of insurance companies around the world.
– Chan has stars on the Avenue of Stars in Hong Kong and on the Walk of Fame in Hollywood, as well as at the Old Arbat in Moscow.
– The actor is widely known for his charitable activities and is involved in many different projects. In June 2006, he announced that he bequeathed to charity half of his fortune.
– He acted under the pseudonyms Yuan Lung Chan, Lung Chen, Long Cheng, Wellson Chin, Baseball Bat and others.
– Jackie is a Buddhist.
– Jackie Chan is the only Asian, whose wax figure is in Madame Tussauds.
– The actor owns a modeling agency Jackie’s Angels, is a partner in a chain of restaurants Planet Hollywood, an honorary doctor of several universities.